Avast is a popular antivirus option that offers excellent protection for a free antivirus (with a paid version being available). Avast has, however, been dogged by a wide range of issues ever since its launch. One of the most frequent problems is that Avast won’t launch at all on Windows, with or without an error message.
Avast Antivirus Not Opening, people have tried a variety of various approaches to solving this issue, and in this post, we’ll try to highlight the ones that have shown to be the most successful. Good luck in correcting the issue and pay close attention to the directions!
Video: Fix: Avast not opening on Windows
WHAT CAUSES AVAST’S WINDOWS PROBLEM WITH NOT OPENING?
There are numerous reasons why Avast might not open. However, a shortlist that includes the most prevalent issues that concern the majority of consumers can be created. Finding the right reason will help you come up with the best remedies and solve the issue as quickly as possible.
Avast Antivirus Not Opening
Broken Avast installation – Avast installation may have been corrupt for a variety of reasons, but fortunately, Avast has offered numerous solutions you may use to fix the issue, such as conducting a clean install or fixing it.
Service for Avast Antivirus not functioning properly – You may easily restart it and see whether the issue is fixed if the main service is having issues.
Find Avast and select Uninstall/Repair from the menus under Control Panel or Settings. In the uninstall wizard that should load, you should see options to update, repair, tweak, and finally uninstall. Fix the software installation by selecting Repair and continuing with the wizard.
Solution 1: Repair Avast
It’s best to just repair the Avast installation by going to the Control Panel and utilizing the repair wizard if something is wrong with it because it won’t even open.
Many people reported success with this method, however, keep in mind that you might need to modify some antivirus settings that you may have modified:
- As you won’t be able to delete applications with any other account, first ensure that you are logged in with an administrator account.
- Search for Control Panel in the Start menu and click on it to launch it. If you are using Windows 10, you may also open Settings by clicking the gear icon.
- Click on Uninstall a Program in the Programs section of the Control Panel by selecting View as: Category in the upper right corner.
- Clicking on Apps in the Settings app should open a list of all installed programs on your PC right away.
- Locate Avast in Settings or Control Panel and select Uninstall/Repair.
- The uninstall wizard for it ought to launch with a number of choices, including Update, Repair, Modify, and Uninstall. To repair the software installation, choose Repair and press Next.
- You will receive a message asking you to approve the procedure. Most likely, Avast will restart with the default settings that were effective prior to the onset of the incident.
- When the uninstalling is finished, click Finish. Restart your computer and check to see if Avast now opens correctly.
How To Fix AVG Antivirus That Won’t Uninstall? (Easy Guide)
Solution 2: Restart the Avast Antivirus Service
It’s conceivable that Avast won’t open properly because of a problem with the Avast Antivirus service. Services may be resumed very quickly, and anyone can certainly use this approach to do so! To restart the Avast Antivirus service, be sure to carefully adhere to the directions below!
- By simultaneously pressing the Windows Key and R keys on your keyboard, you can launch the Run utility. Without using quotation marks, type “services.MSC” in the freshly opened box and press OK to launch the Services tool.
- The Control Panel can also be accessed by finding it in the Start menu. The search button on the Start menu can also be used to look for it.
- When the Control Panel window opens, select “Large Icons” as your “View by” option and then scroll down until you see the Administrative Tools. Locate the Services shortcut at the bottom by clicking on it. It will also open if you click on it.
- Choose Properties from the context menu that appears when you right-click on the Avast Antivirus service you saw in the list.
- You should stop the service for the time being by clicking the Stop button in the center of the window if it has already started (you can verify this right next to the Service status message). If it’s stopped, keep it that way until we go on.
- Before you take any further action, confirm that the Startup type menu option for the service is set to Automatic in the properties box. Any conversation boxes that may show while changing the startup type should be confirmed. Before leaving, click the Start button in the window’s center. If you click Start, you might see the following error message:
- The Avast Antivirus service on Local Computers could not be started by Windows. The given account for this service is different from the accounts specified for other services operating in the same process, according to error 1079.
If this occurs, correct it by following the steps below:
- To open the service’s properties window, adhere to steps 1-3 from the above instructions. Go to the Log On tab and select Browse…
- Enter the name of your account in the “Enter the object name to select” entry box, click on “Check Names,” and then wait for the name to become available.
- If you have set up a password, enter it when prompted in the Password box after clicking OK when you are finished. Now, your printer ought to function properly.
Solution 3: Perform a Clean Install
A clean install of Avast will nearly always solve any issue, and the same is true of this specific issue. In the event that none of the aforementioned techniques work, a clean reinstall is rather straightforward to carry out and successfully resolves this issue.
- It performs more than just a standard uninstalls because it also deletes cache files and potentially corrupt registry entries connected to the uninstalled program:
- By accessing this page and pressing the Download Free Antivirus button in the center of the website, you can download the most recent version of the Avast software.
- Additionally, you must save the Avast Uninstall Utility to your computer after downloading it from this site.
- After downloading these files, switch to Safe Mode and then disconnect from the internet. Start the Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R on your keyboard, then type “MSConfig” before selecting OK.
- Check the box next to the Safe Boot option on the Boot tab to the right of the System Configuration window. To start your computer in Safe Mode, click OK and then restart it.
- Open the Avast Uninstall Utility and look for the Avast installation folder. You can leave it if you installed it in the default place (Program Files). Because any folder you select will have its contents destroyed or corrupted, be cautious when selecting it. Find the proper folder by navigating using File Explorer.
- Restart your computer by selecting the Remove option and starting it up normally. Verify to see if Avast now launches properly.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix my Avast Antivirus?
When you see Avast Free Antivirus or Avast Premium Security highlighted, click the drop-down option and choose Uninstall. Click Yes when the User Account Control dialog asks you to confirm. Click Repair when the Avast Setup wizard displays. Wait while installation fixes your Avast program.
How do I reinstall Avast?
To start the Avast reinstallation process, double-click the setup file. Download the setup file from the Avast website if you no longer have it (see Resources). You can download the setup file once more for free if you already purchased Avast Pro Antivirus or Avast Internet Security.
Why does Avast crash?
When third-party software is installed on your computer, Avast Antivirus products may cause conflicts that might cause Windows to freeze, crash, or display a blue screen error (BSOD). This problem might be brought on by manually launched applications or background-running services that come with Windows.
Should I uninstall Avast?
If uninstalling via the Start menu did not succeed or you get a message stating that the setup is currently starting, we advise using the Avast Uninstall Tool to remove Avast Premium Security entirely from your computer. While Windows is running in Safe Mode, the Avast Uninstall Tool removes all Avast Premium Security files from your computer.